"Honda" (defined below) is committed to protecting your personal information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (“Privacy Act”).
2. WHO IS "HONDA"?
“Honda” and “we” means, as applicable:
- Honda Australia Pty Ltd (ABN 66 004 759 611), Level 4, Gladstone St, Moonee Ponds, Victoria, Australia (“Honda Australia”);
- The Trustee for the Honda Foundation (ABN 47 263 035 483) as trustee for the Honda Foundation, Level 4, Gladstone St, Moonee Ponds, Victoria, Australia (“Honda Foundation”);
- Honda Australia Motorcycle and Power Equipment Pty. Ltd (ABN 96 006 662 862), Level 4, Gladstone St, Moonee Ponds, Victoria, Australia and the trading style (“Honda MPE");
- Honda Australia Rider Training & Honda Australia Roadcraft Training trading as (“H.A.R.T”); and
- Honda Australia Sales Pty Ltd (ABN 34 004 759 915), Level 4, Gladstone St, Moonee Ponds, Victoria, Australia, but excludes the "Honda Sports Car Club" and its associated members.
3. WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES HONDA COLLECT?
Honda only collects personal information if it is reasonably necessary for one of our functions or activities, or as required by law.
Honda may collect and hold the following kinds of personal information about you:
- age or date of birth;
- telephone number;
- email address;
- driver licence;
- transaction details associated with your purchases and use of Honda products or services, including warranty information and credit card or bank details;
- any information you provide through our customer surveys, research focus groups, competitions and marketing campaigns;
- any information you are required to provide to us by law or by agreement; and
- licence details associated with your booking of a H.A.R.T course.
4.HOW DOES HONDA COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Honda will generally collect your personal information directly from you, including when you:
- interact with Honda, including via our websites at honda.com.au, hondampe.com.au, marine.honda.com.au, motorcycles.honda.com.au, powerequipment.honda.com.au, hart.honda.com.au, poweredby.honda.com.au or thehondafoundation.com.au (“Honda Websites”), social media, tradeshows and events, telephone, email or in writing;
- visit a Honda Centre (“Honda Centre” refers to any store, shop front and other physical presence that is operated by Honda, a Honda Representative, a Honda dealer or a Honda franchisee) and provide your personal information to one of its staff for a purpose that requires disclosure to Honda;
- purchase a Honda vehicle, motorcycle, power product, or service;
- purchase Honda genuine parts, merchandise, accessories or event tickets
- register for a Honda customer or member account and provide information through that account;
- make an enquiry, request or complaint, including to book a test drive or download a vehicle brochure;
- participate in our customer surveys, research focus groups, competitions and marketing campaigns;
- are engaged to supply products and services to Honda;
- apply for a current or future career at Honda;
- apply for a grant from the Honda Foundation;
- supply personal information as part of contractual arrangements;
- apply to be, or are appointed, a “Honda Representative” of Honda under a Honda Representative Agreement, or a “dealer” of Honda under a Honda Dealer Agreement (as applicable); and
- enrol into a licensed rider, roadcraft or other course with H.A.R.T.
Honda may also collect your personal information from third parties, such as Honda Representatives and dealers, our service providers, your finance or insurance company, regulatory authorities, road traffic authorities and from marketing lists that we legally acquire.
5.HOW DOES HONDA USE AND DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
In general, your personal information will only be used and disclosed by Honda for the primary purpose for which it was collected, or a secondary purpose that:
- you have consented to; or
- relates to the primary purpose of collection and you would reasonably expect Honda to use or disclose your personal information for that secondary purpose.
We may use your personal information:
- to provide, or assist in providing, products and services to you, including verifying your identity;
- to personalise your experience across Honda Websites and Honda’s other online channels;
- to provide customer support and support to Honda Representatives and dealers;
- to conduct vehicle purchase and service history experience analysis;
- to respond to your enquiry, request or complaint;
- for our internal administrative, customer relations, marketing, planning, training, product development and research requirements;
- for product warranty registration;
- to conduct customer surveys and research focus groups;
- to manage your entry into competitions and for associated uses set out in the competition terms and conditions;
- to send safety recall notifications and manage your safety recall;
- to consider an application for a career with Honda;
- for any purpose for which you give your express or implied consent; and
- for any purpose required or authorised by law.
- Honda may disclose personal information for the purposes described above to:
- Honda Representatives and dealers;
- regulatory authorities such as law enforcement, road traffic and trade promotion authorities;
- our and their business associates and contractors, including suppliers, service providers, professional advisers and their respective agents. The types of business associates include:
- call centre operators;
- marketing agencies and social media website providers;
- market research companies;
- Honda Representatives and dealers’ service providers;
- prize providers involved in our competitions;
- mailing house organisations;
- data entry service providers;
- Honda Premium Roadside Assist and warranty providers;
- insurance providers; and
- survey operators.
Our service providers are required to keep your personal information secure and comply with the Australian Privacy Principles. They are prohibited from using this information for any purpose, other than as directed by Honda or for a purpose that is permitted under applicable laws.
Where applicable, Honda may manage personal information relying on exemptions within the Privacy Act and applicable privacy laws, including provisions in the Privacy Act concerning the sharing of personal information among related bodies corporate.
6. DOES HONDA DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION OVERSEAS?
From time to time, Honda may disclose personal information to our related entities, including our parent company, Honda Motor Co., in Japan, and your personal information may be stored on IT systems of our service providers hosted overseas (including in Japan and United States of America).
Honda will take such steps that are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that overseas recipients will use and handle the personal information in a way that is consistent with the Australian Privacy Principles.
7. DOES HONDA DE-IDENTIFY INFORMATION?
Honda may de-identify personal information about an individual so that the information can no longer be related to that individual. We may use and disclose de-identified information in the ordinary course of our business. De-identified information may also be aggregated to provide reports on the purchase and use of Honda products or services or for the purpose of providing statistical information to Honda or third parties.
8. CUSTOMER SURVEYS
Conduct of surveys and focus groups
Honda engages specialist third party market research companies, under strict contractual and confidentiality agreements, to conduct customer experience surveys or focus groups on our behalf. Personal information disclosed to those third parties is limited to the minimum necessary for them to conduct the survey or focus group or send an invitation to complete a survey or join a focus group study.
Results of surveys
We may disclose personal information provided in survey responses to third parties, including Honda Representatives, dealers and service providers who are involved in providing or improving the Honda customer experience journey. In all other circumstances, survey results are aggregated together into statistical, non-identifying data.
9. MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS
If you have opted in to receive marketing communications from Honda, we will use your personal information to inform you about our products, services, promotions, surveys and events. This may occur in a number of ways, including by mail, telephone, email and SMS.
Each Honda entity is a separate company. Opting out of receiving marketing communications from one Honda entity does not mean you are opted out of receiving marketing communications from another Honda entity.
10. COOKIES AND PERSONALISATION
In general, you can visit the Honda Websites without identifying who you are. However, particular sections on the Honda Websites may require you to provide personal information so that we may provide the products, services or information you have requested, or to register you and verify you in members’ area of the Honda Websites.
During all website sessions we collect and store: non-identifying statistical-data such as the pages you visited or downloaded, the name of your Internet Service Provider (ISP), unique device identifiers and information, mobile network information, the type of browser and operating systems used to access the Honda Websites, the date and time you access the Honda Website, the website that referred you to us and the pages you visit (click-through). We use this information to help design the Honda Websites and its content. In these sessions, Honda collects no personal information.
Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we may transfer to your device's hard drive through your web browser to enable our systems to recognise your browser and to provide personalised features and content on the Honda Websites, social media and other websites. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether.
When you visit Honda Websites, we may also use a personalisation tool to collect non-identifying information about your website usage. This non-identifying information may be connected to personal information we hold about you (and thereby become personal information). The information we collect using the personalisation tool may be used to personalise your experience across Honda’s online touchpoints, and if you are opted in, to send you personalised marketing communications.
For statistical purposes, we collect information on website activity through the use of 'cookies'. When you visit a Honda Website, a record of your visit is logged. The following data is supplied by your browser:
- your IP address and or domain name;
- your operating system (type of browser and platform);
- the date, time and length of your visit to the website; and
- the resources you accessed and the documents you downloaded.
This information on its own does not identify an individual but it does provide us with statistics that can be used to analyse and improve our website. If you do not want cookies to be used, please adjust your browser to disable them.
This information is used by Honda to improve our services. It is never given to any other company for that company's independent use.
11. LINKS FROM THE HONDA WEBSITES
The Honda websites may link to third party websites not operated by Honda.
12. HOW CAN YOU ACCESS AND CORRECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
You may request access to, or correction of, the personal information we hold about you by writing to the applicable Privacy Officer using the details in section 19. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that your information is correct.
You do not have to provide a reason for requesting access but you will need to provide reasonable proof of your identity.
On some occasions it may not be possible for Honda to provide you with all of your personal information, or an exemption under the Privacy Act may apply. For example, Honda may not provide access to personal information if the information provided would impact the privacy of another individual. In situations where Honda cannot provide you with access to your personal information, Honda will tell you why in writing.
If we do provide access to your personal information, we reserve the right to charge you a reasonable fee for providing access that we consider fairly represents the effort involved in providing you with the information.
13. HONDA CONNECT
You can request deletion of your personal information stored on the Honda Connect app by contacting Honda Motor Vehicles using the contact details provided in section 19 and requesting deletion of your Honda Connect account, or deleting your Honda Connect account directly from the Honda Connect app. Deleting your Honda Connect account will remove all of your personal information from the Honda Connect app, but note that some personal information may still be stored in other Honda systems.
You may contact the applicable Privacy Officer if you wish to make a complaint about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles. If you are unsure which Privacy Officer to contact you may contact any of the Privacy Officers.
We take all complaints seriously and will try to resolve your complaint as soon as reasonably practicable.
If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, you may lodge a complaint with the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au).
Honda understands the need for a system of security that protects the privacy of your personal information. We use industry standard security measures to safeguard the personal information that we hold physically and electronically. Our database systems store personal information in secure environments that are designed to safeguard it from misuse, wrongful disclosure, alteration or destruction.
We cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted to us via the Internet, although we use our best endeavours to do so. Honda will not be liable in any way in relation to any breach of security during Internet transmissions of personal information, including any unintended loss, misuse or disclosure of that information.
Honda will provide you with the option to deal with Honda without identifying yourself where it is lawful and practical.
17.DEALING WITH UNSOLICITED INFORMATION
In the event that Honda receives unsolicited personal information that could not have been collected under the Australian Privacy Principles as ‘solicited’ information, we will destroy or de-identify the personal information as soon as practicable, unless it is contained in a ‘Commonwealth record’ or it is unlawful or unreasonable to do so.
18.CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
- marine.honda.com.au/privacypolicy; and
19. CONTACT US
Honda Motor Vehicles:
Privacy Contact Officer
Honda Australia Pty Ltd
Locked Bag 888
Moonee Ponds VIC 3039
Customer Assistance: 1800 804 954
Honda Motorcycle, Power Equipment, Marine and H.A.R.T:
Honda Australia Motorcycles and Power Equipment Pty Ltd
Locked Bag 888
Moonee Ponds VIC 3039
Customer Assistance: 1300 559 846
The Honda Foundation:
Privacy Contact Officer
Honda Australia Pty Ltd
Locked Bag 888
Moonee Ponds VIC 3039
Customer Assistance: 03 9285 5555
Date of last update:11 January 2024
© 2024 Honda Australia Pty Ltd