Honda Announcements from the 45th Tokyo Motor Show
Announcements include, the World premiere of Sports EV Concept spearheads Tokyo exhibits and the Japanese debuts for Honda Urban EV Concept.TOKYO, Japan, October 25, 2017 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced/exhibited the following information and products at the 45th Tokyo Motor Show 2017.
Summary of speech by Takahiro Hachigo, President and Representative Director, CEO
Honda has strengths in producing a broad range of products including motorcycles, automobiles, power products and even business jets. And Honda has relationships with 28 million customers around the world, which we established through our products.
Such strengths as a manufacturer and relationships with our customers are proof that Honda has been embodying its passion to “serve people worldwide with the joy of expanding their life’s potential,” which has been widely shared beyond the boundaries of countries and times.
Honda will further strengthen the lineup of our motorcycle and automobile global models, which represent one of Honda’s strengths, and continue to offer a broad range of attractive products to customers all around the world.
Moreover, Honda has been working on the development of various technologies and products that will contribute toward the realisation of a carbon-free society and making good progress in making our petrol-powered vehicles cleaner and more fuel efficient.
In the area of automobiles, we have been expanding the lineup of hybrid vehicles and will continue to strengthen hybrid, plug-in hybrid and EV models from here forward.
With our products equipped with electrification technologies, Honda will continue striving for the realisation of our enduring passion to realise the joy of helping people and the joy of driving. Honda will continue taking on challenges to expand the life’s potential of our customers.
Key Exhibition Models
- Honda Sports EV Concept: Honda exhibited the world premiere of the Honda Sports EV Concept, a concept model that combines EV performance and AI (artificial intelligence) inside a compact body with the aim to realise the joy of driving the user can feel with a sense of unity with the car.
- Honda Urban EV Concept: Built on a newly-developed dedicated EV platform, the Honda Urban EV Concept is a concept model which indicates the technology and design directions for Honda’s future mass-production EV models. A new model based on this concept will go on sale first in Europe, and then in Japan in 2020.
- Honda NeuV: The Honda NeuV is an EV concept model that explores the potential of mobility products, which will be further expanded by automated driving technologies and AI. NeuV makes judgments about the driver’s state of stress based on facial expressions and/or tone of voice and provides assistance to the driver to support safe driving, and by learning the driver’s lifestyle and preferences, provides suggestions to the particular driver, realising communication between driver and mobility.
- Honda CR-V: The Honda CR-V is an SUV model enjoyed by customers in more than 160 countries around the world. The lineup of this all-new CR-V includes a series-first hybrid model equipped with Honda’s original “SPORT HYBRID i-MMD” two-motor hybrid system, which will be available in front-wheel drive and 4WD variants. The all-new CR-V is already on sale in various markets, including Australia and is scheduled to go on sale in Japan in 2018.
- Clarity PHEV: Based on Honda Sport Hybrid i-MMD, the output and capacity of the battery were increased, and the EV range of more than 100 km was made possible. The Clarity PHEV, a new-generation plug-in hybrid model, features an exterior form with low vehicle height, spacious cabin that seats 5 adults and a large-capacity cargo area. The Clarity PHEV is scheduled to go on sale in Japan in summer 2018.
- Honda RoboCas Concept: The Honda RoboCas Concept is a small-sized electric mobility product created to make people’s dreams and ideas come true. Different types of carrying space with a canopy can be freely combined with a compact-sized vehicle body base which has a driving function.
- Honda Riding Assist-e: The Honda Riding Assist-e is an experimental motorcycle model Honda developed by applying proprietary balance control technologies Honda amassed through its research in the field of robotics. Honda’s aim for this model is to offer motorcycle riders greater peace of mind and make life with motorcycles more fun for people by mitigating the risk of a fall.
- Neo Sports Café Concept: Honda exhibited the world premiere of the Neo Sports Café Concept, which is a concept model for a naked sport model that combines the fun and beauty of a sport bike with a new-generation motorcycle package.
- PCX Electric: The PCX Electric is an electric scooter equipped with a high-output motor developed independently by Honda as well as the Honda Mobile Power Pack, a detachable mobile battery pack. Honda PCX Electric is scheduled to go on sale in 2018 in the Asia region including Japan.
- PCX Hybrid: Honda newly-developed an original hybrid system designed for motorcycles. This compact hybrid system employs a high-output battery and ACG starter to assist the engine and enables PCX Hybrid to realize a “torqueful” riding performance. Honda PCX Hybrid is scheduled to go on sale in 2018 in the Asia region including Japan.
- Gold Wing Tour /Gold Wing: Honda exhibited the Japan premiere of the Honda Gold Wing grand touring model, which has been evolving as a flagship motorcycle model of Honda, and will underwent a full model change. The all-new Gold Wing features new technologies including a newly-developed horizontally-opposed 6-cylinder engine, 7-speed DCT and Honda’s original double wishbone suspension. The GOLDWING is planned to go on sale through Honda's new "Honda Dream" sales channel to be launched in April 2018.
- Super Cub 110, a commemorative model recognising the 100 million-unit milestone: The Super Cub 110 is a special model Honda produced exclusively for the Tokyo Motor Show to commemorate the achievement of the 100 million-unit global production milestone this year and the 60th anniversary next year for the Super Cub series.
- Super Cub C125: The Super Cub 125C inherited and evolved the attractive design and functionality as a personal commuter from the first-generation Super Cub (C100). This new 125 cc model features the latest equipment such as a smart key and electric seat opener and yet realizes ample power for a comfortable riding experience.
- Cross Cub 110: Featuring a crossover style which will look good for both urban area riding and outdoor activities, the Cross Cub 110 proposes a new value of Honda Cub motorcycles. As a model oriented toward recreational use, the “tough” image is being emphasised with the adoption of a leg shield and wider tyres.
- Monkey 125: A 125cc horizontal, single-cylinder engine was installed to the signature body of the Honda Monkey with a sense of intentional deformation which comes from the short & tall body proportion unique to the Monkey series. Adopting unique features such as LED lights and digital meters, the Monkey 125 explores the new appeal of the Honda Monkey model.
Honda Exhibits at the TOKYO CONNECTED LAB 2017
- Honda Ie-Mobi Concept (pronounced: ee-a mo-bee – “Ie” is a Japanese word for “home”):Honda Ie-Mobi Concept is an electrical mobility product that seamlessly connects a home and the car. Honda Ie-Mobi Concept makes it possible to supply electricity from the car to the home and from the home to the car. Moreover, this vehicle can be used also as a small room with the size of approximately 4.95m2.
- Honda Fure-Mobi Concept (pronounced: foo-ray mo-bee – “Fure” comes from the Japanese word “Fureai” which means interaction, contact or touch): Honda Fure-Mobi Concept was developed under the theme of human-to-human interaction. This model has a size equivalent to that of a one-person electric wheelchair, but seats two people and realises smooth travelling on walkways or indoor spaces. Honda developed this model with the hope that this vehicle, which enables two people to move around together, will make people more proactively want to enjoy an outing.
- Honda Chair-Mobi Concept: Honda Chair-Mobi Concept is a chair-type mobility product that can be casually used in indoor or outdoor spaces. Its compact size and ability to turn in a small radius enable it to come into a tight space. The height-adjustable seating face features a function to maintain a level seat even while it is driven uphill or downhill. Honda developed this model as a mobility device that is capable of manoeuvering as flexibly as a pedestrian so that it can be used in various occasions.
- Honda Ai-Miimo Concept: Honda Ai-Miimo Concept was developed based on the Honda Miimo, an electric self-propelled robotic lawn mower. By installing AI, it was turned into a model that communicates with its user and supports the user in their everyday life. Honda developed this model with the hope to create an existence that goes beyond the framework of a “product” but brings smiles and pleasant moments in people’s lives just like a pet or family member.