"Honda" (defined below) respects and upholds your rights to privacy protection under the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). We are committed to abiding by the Australian Privacy Principles in all our dealings with personal information of individuals we deal with, including our customers, business associates and dealers.
- when you purchase a Honda vehicle, Motorcycle, Power Product, or service;
- when you purchase Honda genuine parts, merchandise, accessories or event tickets from the Honda MPE online shop at http://merchandise.hondampe.com.au;
- when you engage in supplying goods and services to Honda;
- when you visit our websites at www.honda.com.au or www.hondampe.com.au;
- when you apply for a current or future career at Honda;
- when you apply for a grant from the Honda Foundation;
- when you supply personal information as part of contractual arrangements;
- when you apply or are appointed a "dealer" of Honda under a Dealer Agreement; and
- when you enrol into a licensed rider or roadcraft course with H.A.R.T.
“Honda” and “We” means:
- Honda Australia Pty Ltd (ABN 66 004 759 611), 95 Sharps Road Tullamarine, Victoria, Australia (“Honda Australia”);
- The Trustee for the Honda Foundation (ABN 47 263 035 483) as trustee for the Honda Foundation, 95 Sharps Road Tullamarine, Victoria, Australia (“Honda Foundation”);
- Honda Australia Motorcycle and Power Equipment Pty. Ltd (ABN 96 006 662 862), 1954 – 1956 Sydney Road Campbellfield, Victoria, Australia and the trading style (“Honda MPE);
- Honda Australia Rider Training & Honda Australia Roadcraft Training trading as (“H.A.R.T”); and
- Honda Australia Sales Pty Ltd (ABN 34 004 759 915), 95 Sharps Road Tullamarine, Victoria, Australia, but excludes the "Honda Sports Car Club" and its associated members.
3. What Personal Information About Me Does Honda Collect?
Honda only gathers personal information if it is necessary to provide a service to you, or as required by law. Honda may collect the following information about you:
- Telephone number;
- Email address;
- Transaction details associated with your purchases of Honda products or services, including warranty information and, credit card or bank details for online purchases;
- Any information you have provided to us through customer surveys, including your gender and age, or date of birth;
- Any information you are required to provide to us by law or by agreement; and
- Licence details associated with your booking of a HART course.
4. How does Honda Collect Personal Information?
Honda will generally collect your personal information directly from you. This may be achieved through your interactions with Honda including interactions via our website, other social media applications or internet sites, telephone, email or writing to us.
Honda may also collect your personal information from a third party source, such as our dealers, government entities, road traffic authorities and from marketing lists which are legally acquired by us.
5. What does Honda Do With My Personal Information?
In general, your personal information will not be used or disclosed by Honda for a secondary purpose, other than the primary purpose of collection unless:
- You have consented;
- The secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose of collection and you would reasonably expect Honda to use or disclose your personal information for that secondary purpose.
We may use personal information about you:
- to assist in providing goods and services to you;
- to provide customer and dealer support;
- to conduct vehicle service history experience analysis;
- to send you information about our products or product events;
- to conduct, and send you, customer surveys;
- for our internal administrative, customer relations, marketing, planning, product development and research requirements;
- for product warranty registration and to conduct product recalls;
- to issue invitations to join focus group studies on Honda products or services, conducted by reputable market research companies;
- to consider an application for a career with Honda;
- for any purpose for which you give your express or implied consent; and
- for any purpose required or authorised by law.
Honda may disclose personal information for the purposes described above to:
- Honda dealers and business associates (including, suppliers, service providers, professional advisers and their respective agents). The types of business associates Honda may disclose personal information to include:
- Call centre operators;
- Direct marketing contractors (e.g dealers’ service providers) and social media website providers (e.g Facebook) for the purposes of promoting our products and services to you;
- Mailing house organisations;
- Data entry service providers;
- Honda Premium Roadside Assist and warranty providers;
- Government Agencies such as law enforcement and Road Traffic Authorities; and
- Customer relationship survey operators.
Where third party service providers are employed they are required to keep your personal information secure and in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles. They are prohibited from using this information for any other purpose, other than as that directed by Honda or for a purpose that is permitted under applicable laws.
Honda may de-identify information about an individual so that the information can no longer be related to that individual. We may use and disclose de-identified information in the ordinary course of our business. De-identified information may also be aggregated to provide reports on the purchase of Honda products or use of Honda services or for the purpose of providing statistical information to Honda or to third parties.
Where applicable, Honda may manage personal information relying on exemptions within the Privacy Act and applicable Privacy Laws, including provisions in the Privacy Act concerning the sharing of personal information among related bodies corporate.
From time to time, Honda may disclose information to recipients located outside Australia, and may disclose personal information to overseas business associates and third party service providers. These include our parent company Honda Motor Co. in Japan and Salesforce whose system servers are located in Japan (with backup in the United States of America). Honda will take commercially reasonable efforts to ensure that overseas recipients will engage with personal information in a way that is consistent with the Australian Privacy Principles.
6. Customer Relationship Surveys
Conduct of surveys, Focus groups
Honda engages specialist third party market research companies, under strict contractual and confidentiality agreements, to conduct customer experience surveys, or focus groups, on our behalf. Personal information disclosed is limited to the minimum necessary to conduct the survey or to issue an invitation to join a focus group study.
Results of surveys
We may disclose personal information returned in customer responses to Purchase Experience and Ownership Experience Surveys to third parties where you have expressly directed us to take this action. Disclosure is strictly limited to dealer staff and Honda staff who have the prime responsibility of enhancing the relationship we have with you. In all other circumstances, survey results are aggregated together into statistical, non-identifying data.
7. Direct Marketing
At times, we may use personal information to inform our customers, prospective customers and others with whom we have interactions, about our products and services, events, promotions and special offers that we believe may interest you. Direct Marketing may be delivered to you in a number of ways including without limitation by mail, telephone, email and SMS.
We will only use and disclose your personal information for the purpose of direct marketing where:
- We have collected your personal information directly from you, and you would reasonably expect us to use or disclose your information for that purpose;
- You have consented to us doing so; or
- It is otherwise permitted by law.
8. Openness, Accuracy and Contact Us
You may request access, or to update, the personal information we hold about you by writing to the Privacy Officer. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that your information is correct.
You may also contact the Privacy Officer if you wish to make a complaint about the way Honda has handled your personal information.
You do not have to provide a reason for requesting access but you will need to provide reasonable proof of your identity.
On some occasions it may not be possible for Honda to provide you with all of your personal information, or an exemption under the Privacy Act may apply. For example, Honda may not provide access to information if the information provided would impact the privacy of another individual. In situations where Honda cannot provide access to personal information held about an individual, Honda will tell you why. If we do provide access to your personal information, we reserve the right to charge you a reasonable fee for providing access that we consider fairly represents the effort involved in providing you with the information.
Honda Motor Vehicles:
Privacy Contact Officer
Honda Australia Pty Ltd
Locked Bag 95
Tullamarine VIC 3043
Customer Assistance: 1800 804 954
Honda Motorcycle, Power Equipment, Marine and H.A.R.T:
Honda Australia Motorcycles and Power Equipment Pty Ltd
Locked Bag 19
Somerton VIC 3062
Customer Assistance: 1300 559 846
If you contact us, and are not satisfied with our response to your privacy-related request, you may contact us to discuss your concerns or lodge a complaint with the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au).
Honda understands the need for a system of security that protects the privacy of your personal information. We use industry standard security measures to safeguard the personal information that we hold physically and electronically. Our database systems store personal information in secure environments that are designed to safeguard it from misuse, wrongful disclosure, alteration or destruction.
We cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted to us via the Internet, although we use our best endeavours to do so. Honda will not be liable in any way in relation to any breach of security during Internet transmissions of personal information, including any unintended loss, misuse or disclosure of that information.
Honda will provide you with the option to deal with Honda without identifying yourself where it is lawful and practical.
11. Dealing with Unsolicited Information
In the event that Honda receives unsolicited personal information that could not have been collected under the Australian Privacy Principles as ‘solicited’ information, we will destroy or de-identify the personal information as soon as practicable, unless it is contained in a ‘Commonwealth record’ or it is unlawful or unreasonable to do so.
We want you to have the highest comfort level, when visiting a Honda website, and to ensure that our processes will respect and honour your election to disclose or not disclose your personal information to us.
The amount of information that you provide to Honda will depend on the range and number of services that you choose to use from our websites.
If you access our websites from a mobile or electronic device, Honda may collect the following device information including, hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers and mobile network information.
2. Normal Website Session
In general, you can visit our websites without identifying who you are. However, particular sections on our website may require you to provide personal information including your name, address, email address and telephone number in order that we may provide the services or information you have requested during a website visit.
3. Information We Collect During a Normal Website Session
You can visit a Honda website without disclosing any personal information about yourself. During all website sessions we collect and store non-identifying statistical-data such as the pages you visited or downloaded, the name of your Internet Service Provider (ISP), the type of browser and operating systems used to access our site, the date and time you access our site, the website that referred you to us and the pages you visit (click-through). We use this information to aid in the design of the site and the material presented there. In these sessions, Honda collects no personally identifying information.
Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we may transfer to your computer's hard drive through your web browser to enable our systems to recognise your browser and to provide personalised features and content on the Honda website. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether.
For statistical purposes, we collect information on website activity through the use of 'cookies'. When you visit this website a record of your visit is logged. The following data is supplied by your browser:
- Your IP address and or domain name
- Your operating system (type of browser and platform)
- The date, time and length of your visit to the website
- The resources you accessed and the documents you downloaded
This information on its own does not identify an individual but it does provide us with statistics that can be used to analyse and improve our website. If you do not want cookies to be used, please adjust your browser to disable them.
This information is used by Honda to improve our services. It is never given to any other company for that company's independent use.
5. Personal Information
6. Collection of Personal Information
There are instances where Honda requests personal information about you on our websites, to enable the provision of a service or correspondence to you. For example:
- “Contact Us”;
- Email newsletter;
- Test drive requests;
- Brochure requests;
- Competition or promotion;
- To enable direct contact by an authorised Honda dealer;
- Registration on Members Area Website (Motorcycles, Power Equipment and Marine);
- Online Shop for merchandise, accessories and event tickets (Motorcycles, Power Equipment and Marine); and
- HART online course booking.
In these situations, you will be expressly asked to provide information that personally identifies you or enables us to contact you, plus any additional information necessary to aid processing your request. This information is collected and used to complete your request, and stored in a manner appropriate to the nature of the data.
7. Email and Your Privacy
You may choose to correspond with us by email, and in doing so send personal information to Honda.
- An email message containing comments about a Honda product or service, or purchase experience, or the Honda website itself.
- In these situations, we preserve the contents of emails received by us. We only use that information to resolve the matter raised in the email.
8. Spam and opting out
Honda will not send you unsolicited commercial electronic messages (‘SPAM’) without your consent and we will only send email promotions or announcements to you if you have previously consented to us doing so.
9. Links from This Site
© 2018 Honda Australia Pty Ltd